Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sweet 16

The year was 1992. I had just turned 16. I just got my first car--Grandpa's 1976 gold Ford LTD with no air conditioning or music. I was ready to go, but I was still grounded, I had to wait. My high school friend Melissa Kiefer had been set up on a blind date at about the same time with Justin Battleson--who went to high school in Alden, MN. They were ready to double date and each had a friend in mind. On May 30th 1992, I probably changed clothes more times than I ever had in a day, trying to find something that would look good on me. I did not know much about this friend of Justin's and I was nervous. Not about what I would think of him, but how would he react to me??!
We had kind of a long drawn out night. We decided to go to a movie in Austin and saw Encino Man. Afterward we played "What do you wanna do? I don know. What do you wanna do?" The four of us drove around for a bit. Stopped at the A&W. We were all too nervous to order anything so we ended up driving around Albert lea for a while. Then of course it was my super early curfew so we had to head back.
Chris had been a good date. We really didn't talk much to each other, but ohh how I was impressed that he had both a job and his own car. That was so totally cool! Oh yeah--he was pretty cute too! We decided to go out on a second date. I was so excited. It was just going to be the two of us and I thought we would get more of a chance to talk and bond with it only being the two of us. Unfortunately, it was one of the quietest nights I have ever had. I went home crying to my Dad and telling him how Chris probably didn't like me, cuz he didn't talk to me. Yup, I was sure it was over. That's it. We are done. I liked his company and for whatever reason he did keep asking me out. We had Godfather's supreme pizza and then went to a movie every weekend. He would drive from Albertlea (Alden actually) to Dexter every weekend to take me out. I loved spending time with him. He was very thoughtful and curtious and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment